2022-23 FHS Symphonic Band Syllabus
Mr. Southerland - Director of Bands
(919) 494-2332, ext. 307 (Band Room)
(919) 494-2332, ext. 373 (Band Office)
This course is designed to give the student an enriching and diverse instrumental music education. The daily objective of the course is to foster and promote musical growth through the playing of an instrument by the student and through instruction on music theory and history. As a member of the band family, focused individual effort and flexibility is necessary for success. Band is a skilled effort in which each student is expected to show technical and musical growth throughout this course.
- Supplies (reeds, valve oil, drumsticks, etc)
- Folder (for loose sheet music)
- PENCIL EVERY DAY!
Each day, you will be expected to arrive to class and quickly grab and assemble your instrument, and prepare and take your assigned seat. If there is a bell-ringer activity on the board, begin it quietly until we begin class as an ensemble. If there is no explicit bell-ringer communicated, you are expected to use your few minutes to prepare your mind, face, and fingers to be ready to succeed.
- Students will follow all FCS and FHS rules and regulations.
- Put your cell phone away!! Give me the time and attention I need to teach you, please!
- ZERO FOOD ALLOWED!! Please help us avoid mice and insects in our spaces!
- Respect your peers and their efforts in my class at all times.
60% - Formative Assessments (small playing assignments, music theory exercises, listening assignments, comprehension checks, etc)
40% - Summative Assessments (full performances of pieces, music theory and history quizzes and tests, performances, etc)
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.