FRANKLINTON HIGH SCHOOL
HEALTH/PHYSICAL EDUCATION SYLLABUS
Teacher: Coach Charles Whitaker Course #: 16395
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org School #: 919.494.2332 ext. 304
Classroom: Health & Physical Education Room # 305 & Gymnasium # 007
Canvas Page: https://fcschools.instructure.com/courses/16395
Google classroom: Whitaker-health-1
Health Class Rules & Regulations
- Be on time. Students are to be in assigned seat when tardy bell rings. (Tardy policy is on the school website.)
- Be respectful at all times. Your actions affect you and those around you.
- Be prepared for class with required materials.
- The bell will dismiss class if all students are in their seat. Class will not be dismissed until all students are in assigned seat.
- No profanity! I will not use profanity in class and neither will any student.
- Absolutely no food, drinks, or cell phones/electronic devices (unless using for learning activity approved by the teacher).
- Class discussions will be based on mutual respect.
- Have a great attitude and work ethic.
- Follow all school and county guidelines (see fcschools.net and FHS Student Handbook).
- Failure to follow rules will result in consequences including: refocus, parental contact, conferences with student or parent, lunch detention, and ISS.
Health Course Content
Unit 1 Making Healthy Decisions
Unit 2 Stress
Unit 3 Nutrition
Unit 4 Alcohol
Unit 5 Tobacco
Unit 6 Preventing Drug Abuse
Unit 7 Mental Health
Restroom Policy: Students will be given a sheet with 3 bathroom passes that may be used during each 3 week rotation in Health during each 9 weeks. These may be used during class when the students wish to use them with my approval. While students are in gym they will be expected to use the restroom at the beginning of the period during dress time or at the end of the period. Restroom usage during class will be at my discretion.
Class Materials: 1” 3 ring binder or folder, loose leaf paper or composition notebook, pens, #2 pencils, PE shorts, PE t-shirt, lock, and athletic shoes. If you have questions about what to wear in PE, review the student dress code and then consult me.
Physical Education Class Rules & Regulations
- Be prepared (PE shorts - PE shirt - PE shoes).
- Students who DO NOT dress out will be sent immediately to ISS and a parent will be notified.
- Students are to be in PE area before TARDY bell rings and report straight to locker room to dress for class.
- Students will have 5 to 7 minutes to dress at beginning and end of class.
- Students will be instructed when to report to the gymnasium for attendance.
- There is a zero-tolerance policy for horseplay in locker room or PE areas.
- Students MUST provide their own lock to ensure security for all belongings.
- FHS is not responsible for items lost/stolen if a student chooses NOT to lock their belongings up everyday!
- No profanity.
- Be respectful.
- Have a great attitude and work ethic.
Students who attend class regularly are more successful in class. If you must be absent, please bring a note from home the following day. Absences are excused for the following reasons: illness or injury, quarantine, death in immediate family, medical or dental appointment, court or administrative proceedings, religious observance, educational opportunity. However, Franklin County Schools Policy states that students must be present in class at least 80 days to receive a passing grade in the course. Students who are absent should check with me before or after class for make-up work when they return. Make up work (due to absence) is allowed two days for each day of absence.
Physical Education Course Content
Physical Education units will consist of a combination of dual, team, and individual sports and activities. We will have a Fitness Focus every PE lesson. Students will participate in a 25-30 Fitness activity while monitoring their overall fitness level. Students will maintain a Fitness Portfolio to track their progress throughout the semester. We will assess our Fitness at the beginning and end of the semester. Students will have the opportunity to set goals and adjust them during the year as needed.
Physical Education Units: Volleyball, Soccer, Badminton, Tennis, Flag Football, Kickball, Wiffleball, Ultimate Frisbee, Softball, Golf, and Team Handball. Units are subject to change based upon weather and equipment availability.
Health grade consists of:
** The Health portion of the class will count for 50% of each respective nine-week grade.
Physical Education Grade consists of:
** The Physical Education portion of the class will count for 50% of each respective nine-week grade
I hope everyone has a positive experience this semester. I will be glad to discuss the student's’ progress with their parents or the students themselves at any time during the semester. Remember that each student needs 1 Health and Physical Education credit to meet the graduation requirement. I look forward to a great semester!
I have read and understand the rules and regulations for Health and Physical Education at Franklinton High School.
Student Name: ______________________________________
Student’s Signature Date Parent/Guardian’s Signature Date
Parent/Guardian’s Phone Numbers: Home/Work/Cell, email
Please sign and return this form to the Franklinton High Physical Education Department.
We need to have this form completed for our records. All students involved in 9th Grade Health and Physical Education classes will be given a Physical Fitness Test. Please indicate on this form any health limitations or accommodations that your child requires that may limit your child’s participation in any activity. I will take any/all necessary steps and actions to ensure your child is 100% safe 100% of the time in PE and Health.
Health Limitations/Accommodations: __________________________________________________________________________________________
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.