Welcome to Eighth Grade English Language Arts!
2020 - 2021
Together, we are going to learn how to READ LIKE DETECTIVES!
- Teacher: Ms. Anna Lea Frost
- Room #: 504
- Email: Annafrost@fcschools.net
- Google Meet Link: Please join me at meet.google.com using the nickname "FrostOfficeHours" for both virtual instruction and office hours
I, Ms. Frost, am here to support both students and parents during this unprecedented time where we are faced with learning in a fundamentally different way than what we would anticipate at the opening of a "normal" school year. With that being said, we are up to the challenge and are ready to deliver high quality direct instruction, maintain communication with students and parents, assess for student mastery, and address the social and emotional needs of all.
Students will continue to develop skills in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening, and Language through learning experiences using print and digital resources. Expect to read a balance of novels, short stories, poetry, non-fiction texts, and texts of personal choice. Be prepared to be engaged in reading, writing, speaking, and searching daily. Come to class "virtually" ready to be engaged and excited to learn!
- Google Meet Link: Please join me at meet.google.com using the nickname "FrostOfficeHours" for instruction daily!
Please take a close look at our daily instructional schedule below. Attendance is mandatory and student participation will be documented as present or absent for each class; both core and elective classes each day. Attendance will be recorded in PowerSchool daily to document participation throughout the school day.
- Google Meet time is your class time on Google Meet with your teacher on your schedule
- On Your Own time is your time for asynchronous learning, meaning that you are working on your own, and not in a Google Meet with your teacher.
- Office Hours are when teachers are available on Google Meet for students and/or parents to ask questions, get help, get information, etc... Please join me at meet.google.com using the nickname "FrostOfficeHours" for Q&A
Each daily assignment is posted on this Canvas Page in the "Assignments Tab" on the left hand side of the Canvas Page and includes close reading assignments aligned to short texts and novels with detailed directions. Please continue to check our ELA Canvas page and your email daily for updates and guidance.
You can also contact me at email@example.com with any questions.
My office hours for questions are Monday through Thursday from 2:30 - 3:00 for both students and parents. I am here to support you! Google Meet Link: Please join me at meet.google.com using the nickname "FrostOfficeHours" for instructional support and Questions and Answers (Q&A)
- Attendance is mandatory Monday through Friday.
- Attend classes and work daily to keep up with learning and assignments.
- Log into your first Google Meet class at 8:30 am.
- Follow your schedule - every class is a Google Meet class where you will receive direct instruction and time to practice independently.
- Remember this is nothing like the spring! All expectations for grading and testing are at the same high standards that we've always had. Work needs to be completed by each due date.
- Attendance will be taken at every class.
- Remember... Take one day at a time and don't get overwhelmed by the work. Again, I am here to ensure you are successful!
- Online binder with five tabs (refer to link to build your online notebook)
- Fully charged Chromebook
- Loose leaf paper and pencils for students who prefer taking written notes
Tests/Projects = 40% 📘Quizzes = 30% 📘Classwork = 25% 📘Homework = 5%
Honor Code: Classroom Expectations both "Virtually" and Face-to-Face
- Be on time to class. “On Time” means ready to learn both "virtually" and face-to-face.
- Be prepared. Have all class materials with you as well as completed assignments. (Chromebooks fully charged!)
- Be engaged in class "virtually" and ready to learn!
- Be responsible. Keep up with your class materials and work. Take ownership of your learning.
- Be respectful of yourself, your classmates, and your teacher "virtually". Please take time to view Online Classroom Netiquette at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWw3aEw1SFo and at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KM1eN6ZC3k
- Do your best and work hard. Try!
Please visit Ms. Frost's interactive ELA Classroom for the most up-to-date information at https://tinyurl.com/Grade8HomePage.
Read independently for sustained periods of time (20-30 minutes daily)
You are expected to read for 20 to 30 minutes outside the school day for enjoyment in order to meet our Ultimate Reading Goal. (Reading Standard 10) More information about documentation is forthcoming.
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.